Hi Everyone! Feel free to puruse the archives while you are here, but I hope you will visit me at my new site, Secrets of a Sweet Southern Girl and follow me there. I no longer blog here.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Where do you draw the line?


I had one of those "this is my line" moments this past week and it really made me think about where I stand on a few things. Particularly with regards to crude humor. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about some crude humor most of the time. I feel like sometimes though, there is a line that gets crossed, and instead of being simply non-pc, or gross-funny, it's just wrong. Some things aren't funny.

I've played team trivia for a while, and recently I became involved with organizing a trivia night. There was a time when I would go to trivia and become very uncomfortable when some of the "funny" names were called over the loud speaker. I didn't like them. I didn't think they were funny. The one that finally broke me, and I went home and told my boyfriend I wouldn't go back to the establishment, was "Duct tape makes no, no, no, sound like, mmm, mmm, mmm".

That's not funny to me. One of the first things I told my friend when we started planning for a trivia night was that we needed to agree not to allow those types of names. Luckily it hadn't ever really been an issue. There have been one or two that I didn't like, but they were kind of like the ones I used to hear out before. They danced all around that line, but other people were laughing and I didn't want to be Debbie Downer.

Last week though one crossed that line. I nearly vomited when I read it, because I knew the people who had written it, and I knew that I simply wouldn't read it out loud. I'm fairly certain that I upset people, even though it blew over by the end of the night, but I couldn't be upset about it. I have opinions, and I stand by them. Some things are sacred. 

Violence isn't a valid answer to any problem.
Killing animals for sport is evil. (It's the sign of a sociopath.)
Children should ALWAYS be protected.
Rape is never funny.

I was told that we didn't say anything about a previous name that was pretty bad too. Thatt was true, we didn't. We grimaced as we accepted it, but people laughed so we let it go. Maybe we should have said something then. 

Talk about "yo mamma", joke about drugs and alcohol, make stereotypical remarks that are completely non-politically correct. I may not like it, but I won't bust your chops about it. 

I know I'm preaching to the choir (pun intended) but I needed to work through all that in my head and get it out there :) Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

lonewolf said...

I don't blame you. Just reading it made me grimace. Some people just don't know when to stop.

Babes Mami said...

that is unacceptable! I give you props for sticking to your guns. It's hard when you are in a big group of people to be the only one saying something!

Miss C said...

I agree 100& with this post. Some things are just not funny.

CinfulCinnamon said...

I agree 100%. And I have never been one to cross the line. I've tried to stay north of it, although may have thought some things that weren't nice. But I can tell you from recent experience that some things really hit home. It's no secret to anyone that knows me, that I don't enjoy the company of children. But it's not that I wish them ill. I have a son that I love with every breath I take. But if given the choice between babysitting and a root canal....well, sign me up at the dentists office. What really sucks, is that kids must sense it in me, because they absolutely CLING TO ME. Babies stop crying if I pick them up. Little kids will run from out of nowhere in stores to grab my hand. I don't get it. Maybe they know I would secretly die for them (but sssshhhh, don't tell them that). Anyway, as a favorite comment; when one of my friends would complain about a child of theirs misbehaving, I would always say, "Two words....Duct Tape". And we would all laugh. Then along comes that fucking bitch Casey Anthony. Need I say more? I don't plan on using that line anymore because of her. With me, it was an innocent sarcastic remark. But I won't use it ever again.