Hi Everyone! Feel free to puruse the archives while you are here, but I hope you will visit me at my new site, Secrets of a Sweet Southern Girl and follow me there. I no longer blog here.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Victim-Blaming

I've already talked about the fact that is is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and I'm sure by now you've all noticed the "Get Involved" button. I just wanted to show you guys another wonderful campaign that really gets to the heart of the matter.


In our society rape has become a social issue as opposed to a moral one. I was playing trivia at a local restaurant a few months ago and there was a team of guys in their early twenties. You make your own name and this particular place has some pretty crazy ones. 

These douchebags? 'Duct Tape makes "no, no no", sound like "mmm mmm mmm".' SERIOUSLY!?

They thought it was funny! I nearly vomited. The next week it was something equally appalling and what do you know, I don't go there anymore.

But aside from these assholes there are lots of people out there who want to believe that anyone who is raped could have prevented it if they'd just done something differently. Society wants to believe that it couldn't happen to them, and so they blame the victim. 

This has to change.

I would ask everyone to visit the Start by Believing website and commit to respond to people in your own life with belief and support. It's just another way to commit to supporting victims and working towards a society where people can feel safe and supported.

Don't forget to join my little Blog Campaign by posting on the issue and displaying the button on your page! Leave a comment to let me know!

1 comment:

PBJdreamer said...

Love this and I did go to the site.

Thank you for posting this



that is all