Hi Everyone! Feel free to puruse the archives while you are here, but I hope you will visit me at my new site, Secrets of a Sweet Southern Girl and follow me there. I no longer blog here.

Friday, April 1, 2011

It's Time...


April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. I've shared here before that in my job I work with victims of these types of crimes. Often times the injustice that crops us around these cases gets me all fired up and it bubbles over into this blog. 

National Statistics show that 1 in 6 women will be a victim of Sexual Assault in their lifetime. Considering that statistics also show nearly 70% will never report, imagine the implications. Most of us have been touched by Sexual Assault even if we don't realize it. Perhaps you yourself have been a victim, or a close friend or family member. Maybe your mother or grandmother was a victim and never told you, but it has effected the way that you were raised, and what you were taught as a child.

Sexual Assault touches us all. It crosses all gender lines, races, and age groups. The statistics on child sexual abuse are absolutely staggering. 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before the age of 18.

I embrace my sexuality, and to imagine having something like that ripped away... it's an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Sexual Assault is a horrible trauma to go through. Then, in order to seek justice that very personal experience is made public and replayed over and over again. Unfortunately we see a lot of victim-blaming in our society as well, so is it any wonder that many men and women choose to stay silent?

As members of society it is time for us to stand up and say that no one should have to stay silent out of fear of judgement or repercussion. We need to get involved to promote awareness and provide support to our friends, family members, and peers who have suffered this type of abuse.

This year the National Sexual Violence Resource Center has launched a Campaign to engage bystanders to get involved with the prevention of these types of crimes. For the month of April I would encourage everyone to display this button on your blog and write a post to highlight Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Perhaps you have a story to share, or simply want to raise awareness with your followers. Perhaps you could research resources in your area and publish them in a post. 

If you post on this issue please comment to let me know. I'm going to compile a list of participating bloggers in my sidebar. 

I encourage you to look into any awareness events happening in your area and get involved on a local level. 

It's time to get involved.


 ScandalintheChoirLoft



4 comments:

singedwingangel said...

ummm I would be gld to grab the button but the code is missing eeekkk can u send me the HTML in my email angelshrout@gmail.com

PBJdreamer said...

I am glad you posted this, I too would grab it but the code is missing


thanks

that is all

D. Scandal said...

Ok, I fixed it! Sorry!

Babes Mami said...

Way to represent! I will put your button in my sidebar!