Hi Everyone! Feel free to puruse the archives while you are here, but I hope you will visit me at my new site, Secrets of a Sweet Southern Girl and follow me there. I no longer blog here.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Death by Communion

I'm too young to die! Yet here I sit, struggling to breath basically. (Not really anymore, don't worry) We had communion at church this morning and apparently not only have I developed an allergy to latex, I've developed some kind of food allergy. The bread that we use in communion is an unleavened bread that they believe would be close to the type of bread Christ would've eaten at the last supper. Meaning it doesn't taste very good and has an unpleasant texture. It's communion though so I don't complain. Until today, because apparently there is something in there that I am allergic to. For the last ten minutes of the service I thought it might be a panic attack. I have those sometimes so my goal was just to get home and lay down. Of course on the way home it seemed to get worse. The tightness in my chest came in spasms, and it would literally take my breath away.

I'm not a hypocondriac so I didn't think I was having a heart attack or anything, but this was insane! So as I got closer to home I remembered my mom having her first allergic reaction a few weeks ago and I was like, 'Ok, get benedryl.'

So I got benedryl, and now it's getting better. I've been on the phone with my mom who thinks I'm going to be ok but wants me to go to the doctor tomorrow so they can give me an epi pen in case it happens again. J-man is going to come over and keep me complany since I managed to completely freak myself out for a few mintues. Now the benedryl is making me sleepy so I'm going to take a nap instead of shopping for my sister's birthday. :-(

Just imagine the headlines: Young girl killed by allergic reaction to communion... geez.

6 comments:

Lady Estrogen said...

OMG - that's crazy. Weird that it just happened now.
I feel slightly hypocritical when I get communion but then I remember that Jesus loves us sinner too. lol.

Red Shoes said...

I can certainly relate... Some years ago, I managed to find myself in a nest of yellow jackets and was stung over 50 times. The dr told me that I could end up with allergies due to that event. Here a host of years later, when I get stressed, I break out in hives. I have a pill box in my pocket... I never go anywhere without benedryl anymore...

It is literally a life saver.

I hope you are doing better!!!

~shoes~

singedwingangel said...

Perhaps the wheat in the wafer is your issue?? That would suck to be allergic to the communion wafer.. glad you are doing much better

Nanny said...

Wow! Scary, I'm glad you're ok.

True Pleasures said...

I'm with singedwingangel. Maybe it was the wheat. Does unleavened bread have gluten in it? That could be it, too. I don't think it does, though...

Best wishes on figuring out what happened! xoxo

jennyfur said...

I know I'm a horrible person but the first thing I thought was "Maybe you're allergic to Jesus!" >.<