Hi Everyone! Feel free to puruse the archives while you are here, but I hope you will visit me at my new site, Secrets of a Sweet Southern Girl and follow me there. I no longer blog here.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sexy Saturday Read

So, I've mentioned several times at this point that I love to read, and my yummy smutty bookshelf has gotten quite full over the past few years with books that (if I haven't already) I will undoubtedly re-read. I love these books, and I decided that a simple 'My Bookshelf'' page wasn't enough. I'm going to try my hand at book reviewing and I'm going to start with some that I already own.

Last weekend the newest book in Sarah McCarty's Hell's Eight series came out and I picked up my copy on Friday. Saturday afternoon I piled up on the pillows in my bed and read it straight through! But we can't start with book four. No, that wouldn't work. So we're going to go back the the first book in the Hell's Eight series, Caine's Reckoning.

Back Cover
Caine Allen is a hardened Texas Ranger, definitely not the marying kind. But when he rescues a kidnapped woman and returns her to town, the preacher calls in a favor. One Caine's honor won't let him refuse.
From the moment he beds Desi, Caine knows turmoil will follow. Desi might have the face of a temptress, but she also has a will of iron and while she needs his protection, she's determined that no man will control her again. They establish an uneasy bond, but it isn't enought for Caine. He wants all Desi has to offer. he wants her screams, her moans, her demands... everything. Yet there's still a bounty on Desi's head, and keeping her sexually satisfied is proving easier than keeping her alive.

This is NOT your grandmother's wetern romance. Filled with hot encounters and sexual tension, the book doesn't rely only on sex to ensure it's success. The characters are so richly developed, and the heroine is fiercely determined to do things her way. She may be a rescued woman, but she certainly does not come across as a demure damsel.

Early in the book we learn that Hell's Eight are a group of eight men who were orphaned as children and grew-up together almost as outcasts. Their goal in life was to find revenge against those who killed their families and in turn they earned quite the reputation as outlaws. Their reputation grew to the point that rather than pursue them and likely die, loval government offered them positions as Texas Rangers, protecting the territory and riding out to seek justice.

Caine Allen is the percieved leader of this group of men. He pushes everyone to be sucessful not only in their work as Rangers but also raising horses on the Hell's Eight ranch. When Caine and two other members of Hell's Eight are dispatched to rescue four women who've been kinapped, we meet Desi Blake. Upon being rescued from her kidnappers Desi makes it clear that she has no desire to return to her town. When Caine insists upon it, she actually tries to run away into Comanche territory.

During their return to town it becomes clear that the other rescued women have quite the opinion of Desi. It becomes very clear later exactly why that is. Desi, a grown woman, has a 'guardian' and his plans for her don't sit well with Caine. He has a quick physical reaction to her, not only sexually, but also emotionally, wanting to protect her. Before he can take Desi and get out of town, the local priest calls on him to make an honest woman of her, so that the same fate will not find her again.

Desi is fiesty, and full of determination when it comes to trying to escape, but it becomes more and more clear that the abuse she has suffered has left its share of scars, both physcially and mentally. She has a twin sister who was also taken into captivity a year ago, and while Desi was sold to the highest bidder, her sister Ari was left behind.

Caine tries to be what Desi needs, but has a hard time figuring out how to make her happy.

I don't want to spoil the book, so I'll just say that both characters have stuborness about them that eventually leads to an interesting and passionate resolution for their personal relationship.

After reading this book I couldn't wait to read the next to see what would happen with the next hunky Ranger, and if the men of Hell's Eight would be able to find and resuce Desi's sister.

I highly recommend this book to any one who enjoys Erotic Romance, and every other book in the Hell's Eight series for that matter, but I'll get to those later on.

You can find more of Sarah McCarty HERE, she has several other series that I will have to check out since the next Hell's Eight isn't due out until 2012 (so sad!). The Hell's Eight Series is published by Harlequin's Spice label and can be purchased at Amazon, eharlequin, and Barnes and Noble along with I'm sure many others that are not in my area.

I purchased this book of my own accord (liked the cover) and no one requested that I provide this review. Everything included above are my views and opinions and were not influenced by any other sources.

3 comments:

Doug Stephens said...

Not my grandma's western romance? You don't know my grandmother very well. She makes ME blush :)

Crazy Brunette said...

oooooh I can't WAIT to read this one bitch!

Nanny said...

Ooooh I want. Love me a rough and tumble western. :)