Hi Everyone! Feel free to puruse the archives while you are here, but I hope you will visit me at my new site, Secrets of a Sweet Southern Girl and follow me there. I no longer blog here.

Friday, May 21, 2010

I just need something...

"Is that an invitation?"

This is my all time favortie movie quote. I am, of course, a die hard romance fan. Not to say I can't appreciate other books, movies, or shows, but a good romance really does it for me. This exchange between Sandra Bullock and Harry Connick Jr. in Hope Floats is seriously one of my favorite lines. During the majority of the movie, I tend to identify with my girl Sandra. (We're on a first name basis ;) ) but this line? I'm so with him.

I can't tell you how many times I've sat with some of my guy friends while they complain about what's not right in their love lives. Now let me say, I'm not of the opinion that guys and girls can't be friends without sexual undertones. I have some fantastic male friends for whom I can honestly say I harbor abosolutely no sexual attraction for... most of them are gay or very unattractive. The rest of them? Yes, I picture them naked, regularly.

So M. (different M by the way than choir director, though clearly the same would apply) is a guy and he's my friend. He is very attractive, and on most points he is the guy that girls want. So when he complains to me that he doesn't know what he needs, or what he wants. That girl inside of me, the one who not only shows her cleavage and flirts like a madwoman, but also wears fishnets and red heels with her skimpy la Perla, is dying to show him exactly what I think he needs.

M. is a macho guy, he likes to feel needed. All of his girlfriends are fragile and in need of rescue. I'm not that girl. That is why he and I will never happen. One night in bed with me and the foundation of his little world would turned on it's side. I just don't think he can handle it.

But this line, this little exhange between a frustrated Sandra, and an equally frustrated Harry. It speaks to me.

On the flip side of that coin, this has also become my phrase. My girlfriends, who also understand the dynamics of normal human attraction, can hear me utter the words and immediately know that I need to get laid.

That being said.... I just need something.

No comments: